Thursday, April 23, 2009

RANDOM.

I'm all over the place today.  This post is quite telling of that. 






"I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose.  I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

"I wanted change and excitement and to shoot off in all directions myself, like the colored arrows from a Fourth of July rocket."

"After that--in spite of the Girls Scouts and the piano lessons and the water-color lessons and the dancing lessons and the sailing camp, all of which my mother scrimped to give me, and college, with crewing in the mist before breakfast and blackbottom pies and the little new firecrackers of ideas going off every day--I had never been really happy again."

-favorite quotes from The Bell Jar


MUSAK
top 5 for this week (in no particular order):

1.  American Pie (Don McLean)
Did you write the book of love?
And do you have faith in God above? If the Bible tells you so
Now do you believe in rock n' roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

2. True Love Way (Kings of Leon)
And we'd be so free
Happy alone
Sharing a smile
So far from home
And we would laugh
Laugh till we cry
Making a song
Making me lie
Happy alone


3. Ask (The Smiths)
Shyness is nice and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
You'd like to

(definitely my sophomore year anthem.  always had it stuck in my head during cross country).

4. Adagio (Rachmaninoff) 
..there's no lyrics. they wouldn't do it justice anyways.

5. The Calendar Hung Itself (Bright Eyes)
And I kissed a girl with a broken jaw that her father gave to her. 
She had eyes bright enough to burn me. They reminded me of yours. 
And in a story told she was a little girl in a red-rouge, sun-bruised field 
and there were rows of ripe tomatoes where a secret was concealed. 
And it rose like thunder, clapped under our hands. 
And it stretched for centuries to a diary entry's end where I wrote, 
You make me happy oh!! when skies are gray 
You make me happy oh!! when skies are gray and gray and gray.

(this quote isn't enough, a listen is necessary.  also an anthem from soph year.  i'm feeling pretty nostalgic lately.)

No comments: